Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Email from David Barnett


My dear Susan, David Barnett here (Bob's younger brother, your aunt Betty's brother in law). I was terribly saddened to hear of your Mom's death from your uncle John.

I have not see "Happy" for years (since 1960/August, actaully) but she was always one of my very favorite persons.

Flashback to 1952, when all the McConnel kids and I and possibly my brother Bob trekked over Sleeping Bear from the parking lot to the huge cliff overlooking Lake Michigan;
Beach parties at Point Betsy with roaring driftwood fires, plenty of good Miller Highlife cheer, and your mother's infectious laugh; then fast forward to 1956, when I was studying at Monterey, Calif, and your Mom came out on her "trip West" with Rena (sp), and spent several days there before going down to Oceanside to visit her sister Betty and my brother Bob.

Then finally, in August 1960, again at Crystal Lake, water skiing with your dad and my romantic interest of the moment Ann Bovard...ah, what wonderful times.

Your Mom was a bright, ever cheerful person, absolutely stunning (you resemble her), with wonderfvul vivacity which affected everyone around her.

Her passing as it was, seems a blessing; it is, after all a path we must all eventually take, and she seems to have walked the last moments of it with no pain...please accept my most sincere sympathy...your Mom was one of the nicest persons I have ever know...David Barnett


Bill Barnett: Pls give a copy to your Mother
Gwen Barnes: Pls give a copy to your Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment